poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Ackley" <sack...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: HDF
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 12:52:00 GMT
Praveen,

I honestly don't know. The way I was planning on trying to do it is the way
you describe. You will also need a DOP. One section of the spec describes
the layout of the streams. It says which parts all documents must have. Go
over these.

I believe all OLE documents are required to have a SummaryInformation stream
and maybe a DocumentSummaryInformation.

Ryan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Praveen Mathew" <prmathew@in.ibm.com>
To: "POI Developers List" <poi-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: HDF

Hi all,
             As per the Ms Word Documentation, A word docfile consists of a
main stream, a summary information stream, a table stream, a data stream,
and 0 or more object streams which contain private data for OLE 2.0 objects
embedded within the Word document.

Right now I am trying to create a Doc file with only some text, which means
I need to create the main stream which has the text. Should I create the
other streams If I dont have any Tables, Pictures  or objects etc. Should I
need to use the Summary Information stream?

What I want to ask is by making an FIB, and the main stream with actual
Text, FKP's for CHP & PAP & STSH and just writing these streams will create
a Doc file??

Thanks & Regards
Praveen

Praveen Mathew
IBM Software Labs,Airport Road,
Bangalore - 560 017,India.
Ph : +91- 80 - 504 4609 (Direct)
       +91 - 80 - 5262355 Extn: 3609
Email: prmathew@in.ibm.com

                      "Ryan Ackley"
                      <sackley@cfl.rr.c        To:       "POI Developers
List"
                      om>                       <poi-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
                                               cc:

                      05/27/03 06:20 AM        Subject:  Re: HDF
                      Please respond to
                      "POI Developers
                      List"

> So my vote is leave it there and reap the benefit of the work that¹s
going
> on.  Quite the opposite from your belief I think it will HELP you.  Some
> folks will come to the same dreadful conclusion and be interested in
helping
> with the new effort.  You'll get patches to the old code that reveal
> something needed in the new.

That makes sense.

> Also the next iteration of our O'Reilly series is undergoing development
> (we've had 2 onjava.com articles so far).  I'd like to cover the Word
> effort.  Would one of you be interested in helping/doing-all-of writing
that
> part?  No money, just exposure for POI (and yourself[-ves]).  Here's
hoping
> I find a way to send this before next week...

Development is coming along nicely. Surprisingly, I am able to re-use a lot
of the old stuff. I don't have it to a point that I can actually do
anything, so I am holding off checking anything in. Ideally, if you could
put them off for a couple of weeks or even a month, I think I could have a
version that can do read and write...

Ryan