poi-dev mailing list archives

From Toshiaki Kamoshida <kamoshida.toshi...@future.co.jp>
Subject Re: sheet names and string format read garbled on EBCDIC machine
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:46:00 GMT
If you can,there is a way to avoid to be worried about the problem,

1.Serach all phrases
  "new String(byte[])"or
  "new String(byte[],int offset,int size)"

2.Replace thease phrases to "new String(args,"ISO-8859-1")"

I feel,the place using phrases like 1,you expect that byte array
contains "ISO-8859-1"(1 char always consumes only 1byte and the
charset is Latin-1),and if you must parse byte array as 16Bit
Unicode,always you must use StringUtil.
And I feel,if the changes like this causes some problems,it is
the bug"the place doesn't support i18n" from the beginning.

But,can you change sources without appearing sickness?
Is the way "too rough"?

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 11:23:29 -0400
"Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:

> I think our main problem is on machines with a different default
> encoding. Like mainframes for instance or some UNIX boxes (though UTF-8
> works). This is symptomatic of none of the core committers being
> mainframers (volunteers are WELCOME!). There is a work around by passing
> -Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1 or what have you, but it would be nice to not
> need to do that.
>
> -Andy

(omit)

Toshiaki Kamoshida