poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Elvira Gurevich" <Elvira_Gurev...@ibi.com>
Subject RE: sheet names and string format read garbled on EBCDIC machine
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:59:15 GMT
We found out the hard way that the en-us version of excel2000 does not
encode ALL strings in Unicode, hence this discussion thread.

I see your reference to the break points in BoundSheetRecord, so maybe
international versions of Excel are coded differently?

Anyway, I guess we should just get these changes in, for now, and see
what comes up next.

How long does it take to get the changes in?

-----Original Message-----
From: Toshiaki Kamoshida [mailto:tkamo@hh.iij4u.or.jp]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 12:04 PM
To: POI Developers List
Subject: Re: sheet names and string format read garbled on EBCDIC
machine

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:12:17 -0400
"Elvira Gurevich" <Elvira_Gurevich@ibi.com> wrote:

> Please don't forget org.apache.poi.hssf.record.BoundSheetRecord,
around
> line 143, and org.apache.poi.hssf.record.FormatRecord around line 133.
> Changed sources are attached here. Is this the right procedure for
> submitting changes?
>
> If Toshiaki also could send me a test excel file created on a
Shift_JIS
> machine, I'll put it through my appl on OS/390 (EBCDIC) and en_us
> version of Windows...

I found,in the XLS file made by Excel97 or later,the encoding of
String is all 16Bit Unicode,it is not depend on default encoding of env.
It means the encoding is not depend on locale too,because it is
always 16Bit Unicode:D
So,perhaps it is no sense that I made a XLS file on my env and send
you...

Thanks.

Toshiaki Kamoshida