poi-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mikael Sitruk" <mikae...@bezeqint.net>
Subject Performance Benchmark
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2003 21:26:23 GMT
Hi to all, 

I've made a benchmark on two branches: 'performance-branch' and
'performance'. I put the result here in this email, but perhaps an excel
file should be more appropriate

The benchmark was performed on two types of excel files noted A & B

A: MS Excel file of 10,483 KB (10483 (KB)) (1 sheet of 65520 on 10
columns, each cell contains a single character)
B: MS Excel file of 20,956 Mg (2 sheets of 65520 on 10 columns, each
cell contains a single character)

The benchmark was performed since I need to create very large workbooks
with an acceptable amount of memory. Following are the results.

Test #1 - branch: performance
-----------------------------
Memory size  : 128MB
Excel        : A & B
Run status   : failed
run time (ms): N/A
new file size: N/A
Comment      : N/A

Test #2 - branch: performance
-----------------------------
Memory size  : 256MB
Excel        : A
Run status   : success
run time (ms): 55680
new file size: 10339 (KB)
Comment      : The new file size is slightly less than the original one,
but it is totally compatible with Excel, e.g. I opened it in excel and
the data is ok. See(*)
 
   
Test #3 - branch: performance
-----------------------------
Memory size  : 256MB
Excel        : B
Run status   : failure
run time (ms): N/A
new file size: N/A
Comment      : N/A

Test #4 - branch: performance
-----------------------------
Memory size  : 300MB
Excel        : B
Run status   : failure
run time (ms): N/A
new file size: N/A
Comment      : N/A

Test #5 - branch: performance
-----------------------
Memory size  : 400MB
Excel        : B
Run status   : Success
run time (ms): 114765
new file size: 20666 KB
Comment      : N/A
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

Test #1 - branch: performance-branch
------------------------------------
Memory size  : 128MB
Excel        : A & B
Run status   : failed
run time (ms): N/A
new file size: N/A
Comment      : N/A

Test #2 - branch: performance-branch
------------------------------------
Memory size  : 256MB
Excel        : A
Run status   : success
run time (ms): 25687 (after third run - first run took 40668, the second
33000)
new file size: 10331 (KB)
Comment      : The new file size is slightly less than the original one,
but it is totally compatible with Excel, e.g. I opened it in excel and
the data is ok.
Another quite interesting thing is that the run took less and less time,
but this I presume is due to the CPU architecture.
   
Test #3 - branch: performance-branch
-----------------------------
Memory size  : 256MB
Excel        : B
Run status   : failure
run time (ms): N/A
new file size: N/A
Comment      : N/A

Test #4 - branch: performance-branch
-----------------------------
Memory size  : 300MB
Excel        : B
Run status   : failure
run time (ms): N/A
new file size: N/A
Comment      : N/A

Test #5 - branch: performance-branch
-----------------------
Memory size  : 400MB
Excel        : B
Run status   : failure
run time (ms): N/A
new file size: N/A
Comment      : N/A

Test #6 - branch: performance-branch
-----------------------
Memory size  : 450MB
Excel        : B
Run status   : success
run time (ms): 236991
new file size: 20,658 KB
Comment      : Here again the file size is slightly smaller.

The most interesting thing is that in this branch (performance-branch)
by paradox took more memory than the branch 'performance', e.g. the test
with 400MB failed in this branch and succeed in the 'performance'
branch.
 
==========================================================

(*) difference between original file and created file

Using Biff I have the following diffs.
Orig file (just after the COUNTRY record):
  ============================================
  Offset 0x57e (1406)
  recordid = 0x1c1, size =8
  [UNKNOWN RECORD:1c1]
      .id        = 1c1
  [/UNKNWON RECORD]

  -----UNKNOWN----------------------------------
  00000000 C1 01 00 00 54 8D 01 00                         ....T...

  -----UNKNOWN----------------------------------
  ============================================
  Offset 0x58a (1418)
  recordid = 0xfc, size =48
  [SST]
      .numstrings     = 9ff60
      .uniquestrings  = a
      .string_0      = A
      .string_1      = a
      .string_2      = b
      .string_3      = B
      .string_4      = c
      .string_5      = d
      .string_6      = e
      .string_7      = f
      .string_8      = g
      .string_9      = h
  [/SST]


The new file has instead ============================================
Offset 0x57e (1406)
recordid = 0xfc, size =48
[SST]
    .numstrings     = 9ff60
    .uniquestrings  = a
    .string_0      = A
    .string_1      = a
    .string_2      = b
    .string_3      = B
    .string_4      = c
    .string_5      = d
    .string_6      = e
    .string_7      = f
    .string_8      = g
    .string_9      = h
[/SST]

============================================

So there is a difference, and of course after this record the offset are
not the same.

Mikael.S

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message