plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DriverGen] Possible solution for type inheritance
Date Thu, 09 May 2019 23:35:45 GMT
Hi,

> 2016 version of BACnet ASN.1 with comments, but not all enumerations is
> 4600 lines long. I'm writing all this to add additional edge cases which
> we will need to cover - with DFDL or any other tool. It won't be easy
> neither way!

I worked with ASN.1 (and BER) in the past. ASN is lacking with it come to communication flow
and state and I think this is where DFDL can help (Chris would know?), ASN.1 just defines
the structure of messages. Mind it was 15 years ago when I did this stuff so my memory may
be fuzzy.

Looking at a couple of examples and ASN.1 and DFDL I don’t think it would be difficult to
auto translate ASN - > DFDL or least a large majority of it. There may be some constructs
or details that don’t translate well but from a  casual glance nothing stood out.

Thanks,
Justin