plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Introduction Veronika
Date Mon, 06 May 2019 13:19:07 GMT
Hi All,

first of all, a very warm welcome Veronika :-)
Really happy I managed to spark her interest. I know I tried working on this multiple times,
but I always noticed my brain isn't wired the right way for that ;-)
Data-Scientists are much better at such problems ...

@Julian Feinauer ... nope ... no jira yet, but we should create one ... I'll take care of
that.

And to all others, please let me explain a little more what Veronika is going to try to do:

Almost all protocols support asking for multiple items in one request. However the size of
a request is usually limited.

Now there are multiple possible optimizations possible:
- Aggregate items that are close to each other (Instead of reading multiple bytes which are
located in close proximity, load one byte array instead)
- Rearange the items so request and response are filled to the maximum
- Split the request up into multiple requests

For the S7 driver I had implemented the last part, but not the others.

Instead of implementing this for one protocol (as I did for S7) she's going to try to implement
this in a generic fashion so we can add this as a layer in all Java drivers (can port things
to other languages later). Currently all protocols except s7 read each item in a single request,
which is highly imperformant.

Really looking forward to this feature :-)

Chris