plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Being inclusive...
Date Fri, 10 May 2019 08:39:15 GMT
Hi,

> It seems that referring to the rest of the team as "guys", even if technically being
gender neutral, is perceived as sexist and to be less welcoming to female and other gender
people by a lot of people.

It a bit more nuanced than that, the word is just not an inclusive word and there no real
need to use it unless actually referring to a bunch of men. I wouldn’t cut yourself up about
it if you accidentally use it, just be empathic that other people may not have the some understanding
of the word and it’s use as you do.

I posted this in the other discussion, it’s a useful read [1]. This may also give some context.
[2]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://thagomizer.com/blog/2017/09/29/we-don-t-do-that-here.html
2. https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/08/guys-gender-neutral/568231/

P.S  You might of noticed a small change I did to one of you PRs the other week (in another
project), it was subtle so you may of missed it.