plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [generation] Another approach to generated drivers
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:15:57 GMT
Hi,

> And for the private Repo... It also felt wrong for me to write this. And strictly speaking
its not a PLC4X Paper but a Paper which "talks about" PLC4X. The main reason for the private
repo are license concerns as the authors usually have to hand over several rights to the Publisher
which would not be possible in case of the Apache License. You don’t have to like that but
that’s how it works.

If that the case it very unlikely it could even be used in an Apache project, so I can’t
see how there could be a future discussion or vote on which approach is better if it doesn’t
have a comparable license. Unless that it, the  publisher agreed to relicenses it.

BTW this is not impossible one of the most draconian contract I ever signed was with a publisher,
but I still managed to get them to agree to make all of the code available under an Apache
license, otherwise no one would be able to use for anything useful until 70 years after my
death.

Thanks,
Justin