plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Re: [python] Experimental version of plc4py available for testing!
Date Sun, 28 Apr 2019 07:33:30 GMT
Hi Chris,

I think we have again some kind of misunderstanding... I think we are considereing two different
use cases.

You consider the "proxy" use case where I start a server somewhere and expose the port and
connect from somewhere else to this server and use it as proxy. Fine.

I had another use case in mind.
While we do not have native drivers in other languages I would use the proxy implicitly to
have a working version of drivers for other languages.
For the python server for example:
If you instantiate the (Python) DriverManager it starts a java interop server in the background
as subprocess.
For each (Python) Connection instance it generates a Client to this server.

This allows Python users to simply use PLC4X the way "we" do it in java without thinking about
the proxy stuff or so.

Does it make that more clear to you?

Julian