plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From "Strljic, Matthias Milan" <matthias.strl...@isw.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject AW: [DISCUSS] The State and Future of PLC4X
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2019 22:00:50 GMT
Hi, Julian,

as you said, there are some very interesting topics there.
For us, the aspects for complex types, driver generation via a model-based + platformindependant
approach and a kind of generated OPM are particularly interesting. Where we would spend some
work with for example students, discussions or LOC :) because it would increase the maintainability
(model based CG) and offers a even better usability through a near complete abstraction of
an automated class/struct/ object generation.

+1 from me :)

Mathi

________________________________
Von: Julian Feinauer <j.feinauer@pragmaticminds.de>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. April 2019 09:06:36
An: dev@plc4x.apache.org
Betreff: [DISCUSS] The State and Future of PLC4X

Hi all,

as we had a lot of non-technical discussions and topics the last time (the coming of age of
a software project, I guess) it’s time for us to go back to the real fun part and do technical
shit.
I had a lot of discussions (on list and off list) with several people like Chris, Matthias,
Björn, Tim and others and wanted to share my thoughts on the future of PLC4X as I see it
(from a solely technical perspective).

Currently, I see several “fronts” or centers of activity (or where I think we should spend
it).

  *   Language adoption – We should define and deliver APIs and bindings for other languages
to bring what we currently have to other people and other communities. The activities we have
there are currently (from my head): Markus and C++, Björn who wanted to investigate C# and
the “Interop Server” which I played around a bit (in fact, Matthias made a python binding
yesterday…)
  *   Driver Generation – This is a well-known Topic which is currently driven by Chris.
This is a large topic, which includes
     *   Model Generation (currently dfdl and state-xml)
     *   Templates for many languages (will partially derive from above)
     *   A build process, to wire both together
     *   Some kind of Test Suite to check the correct generation of drivers
     *   Automated Documentation / Spec Generation (!!
  *   Ecosystem / Tools – We have a set of tools that are based on PLC4X and which enable
to do things which where unthinkable before. Some are
     *   Scraper – A tool to scrape massive amounts of data from multiple PLCs based on
a yml configuration, this is mostly driven by Tim
     *   OPC UA Server – Yet to come. Maps OPC UA requests to PLC4X requests which then
go native to the PLCs. Matthias started some work on this, Tim looked over it and I think
Chris plans on implementing something here also
     *   We had multiple discussions about tools that “guess” something about locations
of variables or their types. Chris brought that up yesterday and plans to do something there,
Matthias and I discussed this several times and we plan to also do something with one or two
students there
  *   New programming models – As plc4x is open, it allows us to implement new programming
models on top of it. The best example I can give is OPM, the JPA equivalent of PLC4X. The
idea is to work with POJOs and annotations and EntityManagers (as Beans) and have a “type
safe” and Business-esque way to communicate with PLCs.

Here I see a lot of potential and possible next steps could be (discussed by Matthias and
me)

     *   “Richer” Typesystem (not just primitives and Arrays as currently) which covers
complex objects
     *   Mapping of complex objects from POJOs to PLC segments (Like structs in S7 or ADS)
     *   Auto-generation of annotated POJOs from PLC programs (much like JPA or the C# ORM
does that based on an existing database). This could be a “killer-feature” as it would
really allow type-safe end to end communication with the plc with zero plc specific knowledge

Other Topics in this area that can be named are

     *   A connection pool to share / reuse connections for efficiency (which was implemented
by Sebastian and is absolutely crucial for us!)
     *   A central monitoring component (similar to how a Webserver monitors each side access
and the results and latencies and so..), I am currently working on this and hope to provide
a PR soon

Of course, all of this is solely based on my personal opinion or things that came out in discussions
with other involved people.
For me, this structure makes sense and perhaps it helps us to “broaden” our scope a bit
from the initial focus (drivers, drivers, drivers) to the new picture which evolved over the
last to years.

Of course, feel free to agree, disagree or participate with other opinions.

Julian

PS.: I could offer to bring this in a more “presentable” form and prepare a short “overview”
talk about this for the next meetup, if interesting