plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Siemens wird Teil der Volkswagen Industrie-Cloud
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2019 07:09:52 GMT
Yeah …

articles like this really make me sad and mad at the same time. But thanks for sharing …

I know both the MindSphere as well as the MindConnect thing (what they call Edge computing)
devices and they’re … well … in my opinion … less than real solutions.
I really wonder how they want to integrate anything not produced by siemens. At least I think
MindConnect only supports S7 protocol, Modbus and OPC-UA. We all know … there is more.

Probably their integration pattern is the typical: If it doesn’t work with our stuff …
just replace it with our stuff.

But, as always, if Siemens just says: “We know what we’re doing” no one questions them
and they just shove millions of millions of dollars to them without asking.
If I promise them the same thing, but with much higher performance, scalability, automatic
failover and all with no license costs (if you want too), … they think something’s fishy
and they usually get alternate quotes.
But probably all we have to do is wait … usually the things Siemens is best at is to fail
at transitions like that.

Perhaps I should start selling Apache Kafka for multiple millions (would be in line with the
Apache 2.0 license) … maybe this way we’ll get the industry to believe us …
and after all … a lot of the stuff in Siemens’ solutions is open-source components so
that’s sort of what they are doing ;-)

Chris