plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Re: [generation] Another approach to generated drivers
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:19:26 GMT
Hi Justin,

some clarification... this repo currently hosts two things... some code snippets (really messy)
and the draft version for the paper (like really really early draft).
The paper code is what is (for me) unsure license related but the code will of course go to
the PLC4X repo (once it is more than just a mess) and will be Apache Licensed.
And I also want to avoid that someone just takes the paper and submits it somewhere with his
own name as author...

But I wanted to share also this Paper effort with the community to give everybody the chance
to participate in this paper as it is so strongly related to plc4x.

Julian

Am 29.04.19, 11:16 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    > And for the private Repo... It also felt wrong for me to write this. And strictly
speaking its not a PLC4X Paper but a Paper which "talks about" PLC4X. The main reason for
the private repo are license concerns as the authors usually have to hand over several rights
to the Publisher which would not be possible in case of the Apache License. You don’t have
to like that but that’s how it works.

    If that the case it very unlikely it could even be used in an Apache project, so I can’t
see how there could be a future discussion or vote on which approach is better if it doesn’t
have a comparable license. Unless that it, the  publisher agreed to relicenses it.

    BTW this is not impossible one of the most draconian contract I ever signed was with a
publisher, but I still managed to get them to agree to make all of the code available under
an Apache license, otherwise no one would be able to use for anything useful until 70 years
after my death.

    Thanks,
    Justin