plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Re: Rearrange modules according to their language?
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2019 17:20:07 GMT
Hi Chris,

first, thank you for all your work on the build.
One feat that gets stronger and stronger for me is the complexity of our build, which I dislike.
I know that this is a necessity of our current setup but I think we have to do something about
it as the build himself currently has the complexity of a simple driver but "no" testcoverage
and is very hard to debug (and very few are able to maintain or even understand it, myself
included).

So I think we have to think about how we can change this and this is, from my perspective
the most important issue and should drive how we organize our modules.

This includes questions like
- should we organize by language or by "role" (which is basically your question)
- should we only use maven as driver for the build or should we decouple all builds and leave
it to Jenkins to execute all of these
- should we split repos or should we keep one repo as it is currently
- how do we handle interdependencies between different languages
- how to we deal with general "tools" in the build pipeline (longer idempotent build vs complexer
individual setup)

I know that some of these suggestions would imply large changes but I think we should not
drive these important decisions.

Julian