plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject AW: Some of the latest changes
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2019 10:29:06 GMT
Hi Chris,

Please keep in mind how this came to life.
We always discussed a sensible and driver specific ping method, like in the S7 case do a query
against the slz or so.

This is the best approach.

The current approach works very inoptinal as observed in many applications from us and also
Gunter. Thus, I see this as a first step from not so good to a bit better.
But ideally we implement something really good for each protocol.
At least now we observe disconnects way faster as before which is important in many use cases.

Julian

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Betreff: Re: Some of the latest changes
Von: Christofer Dutz
An: dev@plc4x.apache.org

Another problem I am seeing is that there is a great difference between ping and isConnected.

Ping simply checks if there is someone answering at the other side. While isConnected also
gives an answer to the current state of the protocol connection.

So it is for example possible to still have a valid TCP connection but the protocol has already
said goodbye and therefore the connection is disconnected. Or which is much more likely, the
TCP connection has just been established, however the handshake has not yet been successful.
Especially with protocols like S7 and EthernetIp where the connection requires multiple interactions
with the remote and there is a goodbye in the protocol,
This is important.

Chris