plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] Release Strategy for future releases
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2019 08:14:56 GMT
Hi all,

perhaps some may find this email too early (as we are still in the process of doing a Release)
but I want to ask / discuss about how we plan to do releases in the future.
Up till now, they were were infrequent due to the early stage of the project but now I think
we have stabilized well, we have stable APIs and mostly new features coming in.
One problem we had most of the time was, that we had to work on “forked releases” because
the last official release lacked (newer) features we needed.
Thus, I suggest that we start to release more often or even on a regular schedule (like e.g.
Calcite does it) to ship the new features soon.
Also this could help us, to teach more people how to release / rm.

As we are mostly shipping features, there’s nothing speaking against doing minor (i.e. compatible)
releases which makes it really easy for users to update.
Perhaps, we could aim for monthly releases (if we have things to release) and already start
the setup for that. I am really eager to get the PLC4X-88 (Triggered Scraper) merged and then
shipped!
Next would then be 0.3.2 in early April.

What do you think of that concrete and more general?

Julian

PS.: If we move forward with graduation the release process is also becoming a bit easier,
as there’s only one vote necessary (and no longer the second vote from the IPMC)