plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Start voting on graduating?
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2019 10:54:46 GMT
Hi all,

Having gone through Justin's link to the Apache maturity model [1] I guess we are on an extremely
good path (Keep in mind this is not a maturity model for incubator projects, but all Apache
projects)

As far as I can see it, we get 100% of the points for most categories. There are however some,
where we could improve with little effort:

Quality
- QU30: The project provides a well-documented, secure and private channel to report security
issues, along with a documented way of responding to them.
Apache usually has a channel for that [2] ... but we should add a page guiding people there.
- QU40: The project puts a high priority on backwards compatibility and aims to document any
incompatible changes and provide tools and documentation to help users transition to new features.
Till now we have had changes of the API which were necessary but documented. I guess we should
start stabilizing the API soon (Probably with a 1.0.0 release) as soon as we have sorted out
any possibly still existing API quirks

Community:
CO50 - The way in which contributors can be granted more rights such as commit access or decision
power is clearly documented and is the same for all contributors.
We haven't officially discussed and documented this.

Consensus Building:
CS10 - The project maintains a public list of its contributors who have decision power --
the project's PMC (Project Management Committee) consists of those contributors.
We should create and maintain such a list
CS40 - In Apache projects, vetoes are only valid for code commits and are justified by a technical
explanation, as per the Apache voting rules defined in CS30.
This sort of contradicts our decision making guidelines at [3] but this table is based on
the official Apache document [4] ... not quite sure what to do here ... will take it to the
incubator list.

In the end we should also add a document to our site that is similar to this [5]

So ... with this ... would it be ok for us to vote on becoming a TLP or would we have to address
everything first?

Chris

[1] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/security/