plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Revive Edgent with some new (and cool) features
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 08:34:16 GMT
Hi community,

as I finished some private projects, I feel like I have some time and new energy to spend
more efforts to edgent.
I have several ideas on how we can kick off the project again and would like to share / discuss
them with you guys.

  *   First, I suggest that we add adapters (similar to the IotpDevice for IBM Watson) for
other relevant Cloud plattforms, like Azure, Google, AWS, … .
  *   Second, we open sourced our Framework CRUNCH for industrial analytics late last year
[1]. I would like to integrate it in edgent to allow more refined edge analytics.
  *   Third, I think a good place for something like the PLC Scraper (from plc4x [2]) (perhaps
with some configuration stuff as standalone) is Edgent. So we could build complete pipelines
there from connecting to the plc over analytics with crunch to some kind of storage (local,
cloud)
  *   Finally, the iotdb project [3] which recently joined the incubator is doing really great
stuff and it would be good to also integrate it in edgent as a sink (and source). I see main
purposes here, one as a buffer (think of kafka) and second as archive store.

I’m cross posting this mail to the lists for edgent, plc4x and iotdb to let all communities
know but please reply to this mail only on the EDGENT list, as I think its best to keep the
discussion here.

What do you think of these ideas?
And perhaps we can also win some contributors of the other projects (crunch, plc4x, iotdb)
to support these efforts.

Thanks!
Julian

[1] https://github.com/pragmaticminds/crunch