plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] Preparing for the incubation finishing line?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2019 09:10:23 GMT
Hi all,

So I just verified that the pages:
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/plc4x
And
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/plc4x.html
Noticed that we sort of covered almost all the things we are required in order to become a
Top-Level Project (TLP).

The only thing we can’t check off the list is:

  *   Ensure all initial PPMC and Committers have signed up to the dev and private lists
  *   Decision-making Guidelines

Not all being subscribed is mostly to the PPMC containing quite a number of people that have
never participated
in the project at all. Reason for this was the way we started the whole project. When I setup
things at codecentric
I publicly asked who wants to join and we added everyone that raised his/her hand. When entering
incubation we
simply took that list and set that as initial PPMC and Committer list.

I would suggest that we should discuss and decide if we want to populate the Initial PPMC
by only people actively
expressing interest. So if a PPMC member doesn’t raise his hand, I think we should not add
them to the TLP PMC.
Of course, we could say there’s always an option for those late to the party to be added
afterwards, but I guess
most will not be. What do you think?

Our Todos were:
Collaborative Development
·         Have all of the active long-term volunteers been identified and acknowledged as
committers on the project?
·         Are there three or more independent committers? (The legal definition of independent
is long and boring,
but basically it means that there is no binding relationship between the individuals, such
as a shared employer,
that is capable of overriding their free will as individuals, directly or indirectly.)
·         Are project decisions being made in public by the committers?
·         Are the decision-making guidelines published and agreed to by all of the committers?
Licensing awareness
·         Are all licensing, trademark, credit issues being taken care of and acknowledged
by all committers?

  *   I guess everyone who contributed has been added.
  *   We are definitely more than 3 active committers without any business relationship …
the distribution of active PPMC
members is no longer that Codecentric employees have any dominance.
  *   We are deciding and discussing things on the list publicly. If we happen to meet and
discuss things offline, we bring
the discussion results back to the list.

So seems the last thing we should do is agree and publish some decision making guidelines.
Perhaps one/more of our
Mentors could guide us to some examples? Guess this has been done before and as it feels like
being the same in almost
all Apache projects, I guess we could “adopt” or at least use some other projects guidelines
as a starting point.

What do you think?

Chris