plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject AW: [DISCUSS] Which template engine to use for the code-generator
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2019 09:14:58 GMT
Hi Chris,

I used and like both.

But I have the impression that Freemarker is a bit more widespread for code generation (is
e.g. used in Apache Drill) in contrast to velcotiy which is often used for websites (my impressions).

So I agree and also prefer freemarker for us.

Julian

________________________________
Von: Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2019 09:11:26
An: dev@plc4x.apache.org
Betreff: [DISCUSS] Which template engine to use for the code-generator

Hi all,

so yesterday I did the first commit for a new maven plugin (And yes it’s intentionally not
part of the main build).
So today I will start with the code generation part … the thing is that we will be using
a templating system to define the templates for a given output format.
Right now we could coose:

  *   Apache Velocity (https://velocity.apache.org/)
  *   Apache Freemarker (https://freemarker.apache.org/)

Usually the choice for an Apache project would have been Velocity as this was the Apache project,
but as recently Freemarker also is an Apache project, I would prefer the later.
In my day job I have had the need to use Tempating engines multiple times and whenever I used
Freemarker, things were a lot simpler.

So if there are now objections, I would start using Freemarker.

Chris