plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject [DYNAMIC DRIVER] Frist working version of a dynamic S7 driver
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:30:51 GMT
Hi all,

I just pushed my latest work on the dynamic s7 driver.
This version is now able to connect, detect the device type and read single-item requests.
(The reason for this is currently I have to figgure out how to manipulate the DOM tree at
runtime for multiple items … but that is definitely planned)

I also tested the driver with the hello world application (You need to add a dependency to

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.plc4x.sandbox</groupId>
  <artifactId>plc4j-dynamic-driver-s7</artifactId>
  <version>0.4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

And use the url prefix “s7d” instead of “s7” …

I did a quick benchmark and we’re far from the current performance values. But this was
to be expected. I have to try it back in the office (currently accessing our S7 via VPN from
my home-office)
Here the normal S7 got response times of around 55ms and the dynamic one got 160ms (twice
the non-dynamic version)
After finishing the dynamic driver (reading & writing of multiple items) I would then
start work on the code-generation where I am expecting significantly better performance.

Another thing I haven’t managed to get working yet, is executing multiple requests at the
same time (respecting the Max AMQ value). Here I’m currently asking for help on the Apache
Commons list.

But what I’m really happy with, is that this generally proves that it is possible to specify
a driver with mostly XML, which will be really cool when it comes to implementing new protocols
… you can quickly change things and test them without having to write thousands of lines
of code.

So far for the update on the dynamic drivers.

Chris