plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Which template engine to use for the code-generator
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:37:27 GMT
Hi all,

so I just pushed a first very raw version of the plugin.

The configuration currently looks like this:

      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.apache.plc4x.plugins</groupId>
        <artifactId>plc4x-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <package-name>org.apache.plc4x.test</package-name>
          <dfdl-schema>${pom.basedir}/src/main/resources/protocol.dfdl.xsd</dfdl-schema>
          <templates>
            <tempate>${pom.basedir}/src/main/resources/template.ftlh</tempate>
          </templates>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

The above config references both templates and dfdl schema locally, but it is my intention
to support classpath paths in there too.
The package name is needed as the templates are language dependent and not protocol dependent
and the protocols don't know about packages.
In the end, a user would add a "runtime" dependency to the module for a "template" project
and a "protocol" module.

For example we would have:
- JavaTemplates
- CppTemplates
- PythonTemplates
- CsTemplates

And protocol modules for every supported protocol:

- S7Protocol
- ADSProtocol
- ModbusProtocol
- EtherNetIPProtocol

And with this we could generate:

- plc4j-s7-driver (package: "org.apache.plc4x.java.s7", JavaTemplates, S7Protocol)
- plc4j-modbus-driver (package: "org.apache.plc4x.java.modbus", JavaTemplates, S7Protocol)
- plc4cpp-s7-driver (package: "org.apache.plc4x.cpp.s7", CppTemplates, S7Protocol)
I guess you get the point ...

Right now the plugin can accept a number of templates and a dfdl schema file. The plugin parses
this and for every root complexType it executes each of the templates.
If the template wants to output something, the first line of the generated output will contain
the file-name and directory structure for the output.
After that comes the real content of the file.

Still have to work on the loading of resources from the classpath as this requires adding
more modules (the template modules) so I'm currently concentrating on how to generate code
Here I'll probably work on some helpers for common things I come across during my template
writing.

Just wanted to keep you guys updated ...

Chris