plc4x-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Anyone got experience with "protocol buffers" or DFDL (for generation of the message (de)serialization code)?
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2019 09:45:32 GMT
Hi all,

while I’m currently working on refactoring the S7 driver to a simpler structure so we can
convert it to other languages more easily. A colleague of mine pointed me to protobuf/protocol
buffers from google [1]
From a quick look at it, it does seem as if it could suit our needs quite nicely. I would
like to try out if it’s possible to model the S7 data structures in this way. If it works
we could eventually quickly create something that serializes/deserializes given data in any
language …

It seems to be a lot simpler than the DFDL [2] I was thinking of, so guess we have to find
out if it has all the capabilities we need.

Any thoughts?

Chris

[1] https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/javatutorial
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Format_Description_Language