pivot-user mailing list archives

From Tom Coleman <...@soaringclub.org>
Subject Re: MVC application
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:09:37 GMT
Hi Roger

Thanks for the quick reply.  Sorry for my delayed response.

I am trying to get a handle on implementing an MVC application using Pivot.   At this point
I am seeing Pivot as the MVC “View", and am searching for hooks that can relate the data
contained in the model to the Pivot “View”.

View – The view renders the contents of a model. It specifies exactly how the model data
should be presented. If the model data changes, the view must update its presentation as needed.
This can be achieved by using a push model, in which the view registers itself with the model
for change notifications, or a pull model, in which the view is responsible for calling the
model when it needs to retrieve the most current data.
https://lkubaski.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/java-se-application-design-with-mvc-with-images/
<https://lkubaski.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/java-se-application-design-with-mvc-with-images/>

The application is complicated by the fact that model data is interrelated.  In other words,
if a column in a row is updated, other columns may have to be updated as well.  These relationships
can be encoded in an “intermediate representation” of the model data.

I’m pretty sure Pivot has everything to do what I need to do.   After long involvement with
synchronous systems, I’m just struggling to get a handle on the architecture.

Thanks!

Tom

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 1:23 PM, Roger and Beth Whitcomb <RogerandBeth@rbwhitcomb.com>
wrote:

> Hey Tom,
>    I'm not sure what you mean by a "detached MVC approach".  IMO the "store" method of
RowEditor is the canonical place to do the update -- this is what is meant to happen there.
>    Can you do the parse beforehand and store some intermediate representation?  That
would be my first thought, without knowing more about the whole process.

> Thanks,
> ~Roger
>
> On 4/14/16 9:53 AM, Tom Coleman wrote:
>> Can someone please share some thoughts on an MVC approach to this application using
Pivot?

>> The question arises from trying to figure out how best to rewrite data changed by
a TableViewRowEditor.

>> Data underlying the model is a sequence of bytes, the position and length of which
can represent different data types.   These can be parsed and converted to TableData objects
(the model?) which can be rendered and edited as Pivot ListButtons, TextInputs, and Checkboxes.
>> The parse is expensive and the position and length data can be stored in the TableData
cell to facilitate the rewrite.

>> I can probably rewrite the data as part of the "store" process in the RowEditor,
but can someone suggest a more detached MVC approach?