pivot-user mailing list archives

From Roger Whitcomb <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: UI zooming and buttons detection in Apache Pivot at program start
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 18:03:23 GMT
Hi,
	Thanks for your interest in Pivot!  I saw your question on stackoverflow also, but haven't
had the time to give you a proper answer there.  It sounds like a bug (to me).  So, I would
suggest opening a JIRA issue so we can track it, and put all your test case information in
there.  You can do that here:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT

	I assume you're using the 2.0.4 (latest shipping version) of Pivot?!  Can you try building
the "trunk" (version 2.1)?  And if so, can you reproduce the problem in there?  I don't think
there have been any changes related to this, but just as a point of reference.

	Again, thanks very much for using Pivot, and I hope we can resolve this issue shortly.

~Roger Whitcomb

-----Original Message-----
From: vmuukka@fastmail.com [mailto:vmuukka@fastmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 12:53 AM
To: user@pivot.apache.org
Subject: UI zooming and buttons detection in Apache Pivot at program start

Hi there,

I have been testing Apache Pivot one week now and I'am very impressed of this library! It
is easy, simple and good looking UI library without any new tool.

Currently I'am trying to use UI scaling (zooming) feature which work nicely with Ctrl Shift
+/- keys (and mouse too), but I cannot make it work right at program start so that buttons
could be detected from correct location. So, I like to run an application and set some predefined
scale so that a user need not to adjust it at all. This is beacuse I know the target device
screen resolution where the application will be run.

I have tried two different apporaches here:

1) Using ApplicationContext.scaleUp():

    ApplicationContext.DisplayHost displayHost = new
    ApplicationContext.DisplayHost();
    Graphics2D graphics = (Graphics2D) displayHost.getGraphics();
    displayHost.setScale( scale );

So this is not working - the code is located at startup method before or after "window.open(display);"
call.

2) Using ScaleDecorator.setScale will scale the UI correctly...:

    final ScaleDecorator sd = new ScaleDecorator();
    window.getDecorators().add( sd );
    sd.setHorizontalAlignment( HorizontalAlignment.LEFT );
    sd.setVerticalAlignment( VerticalAlignment.TOP );
    sd.setScale( scale );
    sd.update();

... but all buttons will be detected as if the UI is using scale factor 1.0. So all buttons
are detected (with mouse) from wrong screen locations (x/y -coordinates).

This effect can be easily tested with ApachePivot org.apache.pivot.demos.text.TextPaneDemo
by adding the code above just before window.open(display) call like this:

        final ScaleDecorator sd = new ScaleDecorator();
        window.getDecorators().add( sd );
        sd.setHorizontalAlignment( HorizontalAlignment.LEFT );
        sd.setVerticalAlignment( VerticalAlignment.TOP );
        sd.setScale( 2.0f );
        sd.update();

        window.open(display);
        textPane.requestFocus();
    }

The program UI will scale correctly the but buttons will react from wrong locations.

I have searched through all tutorials, demos, faq, mailing lists, Google and Stack Overflow
but have not found an example or right way to do this. I guess I have missed something? Any
tips will be appreciated.
Thank you.