pivot-user mailing list archives

From Roger Whitcomb <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: Changes to skin colors etc in Pivot 2.1.0
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 22:43:29 GMT
It has come up with our application that the default Pivot theme font (which is "Verdana 11")
does not support (on Windows at least) a lot of the Unicode character set, particularly: Chinese,
Korean, and Japanese (and probably others as well).  This doesn't work well for us since we
are now penetrating the Japanese and Korean markets.

The discussion in the Java "Font" class says this:
Typically, each logical font name maps to several physical fonts in order to cover a large
range of characters.

So, after some experimentation on Windows XP, 7, OSX (Mavericks) and Linux (Redhat), we have
changed the default theme font for our application to "DIALOG 12".  This font is a little
narrower than Verdana, but it is nice looking, and (better yet) displays Korean characters
just fine (per the notes for the Java "Font" class).

So, I would propose for at least 2.1 (and maybe 2.0.5 as well), changing the default in our
TerraTheme to be "DIALOG 12" or maybe "SANS_SERIF 12" instead of Verdana.

The other reason for making this change would be to make applications look more alike across
all platforms.  "Verdana" is not typically available on OSX or Linux, and thus something else
would be substituted anyway for the default theme font.

Comments?  Problems with this?  Anyone think this should NOT go into 2.0.5 (upcoming)??

I have opened issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-958 to track this issue.

Thanks,
~Roger