pivot-user mailing list archives

From Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: pivot + webkit?
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:54:53 GMT
thank you for detailed answer.

our issue at hand is to have webkit in pivot.

I am curious if we go "level down" (almost JNI)
and try to talk to the underlying webkit wrapper for javafx,
would it be easier to integrate in pivot?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: pivot + webkit?
From: Greg Brown <gk_brown@verizon.net>
To: Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com>
Cc: user@pivot.apache.org
Date: Thu 28 Feb 2013 08:32:09 AM CST
> The rendering models are completely different. Pivot uses immediate mode rendering (i.e.
"paint" calls) and JavaFX uses retained mode (the scene graph). Way down under the hood, JavaFX
translates the scene graph to immediate mode calls, but this is done using non-public APIs.
Also, JavaFX uses a multi-threaded rendering approach whereas all Pivot rendering happens
on a single thread (the EDT).

> It may be possible to render Pivot using JavaFX's new Canvas support, but that would
most likely involve creating a graphics wrapper API that would either draw to Java2D or Canvas.
This would require some extensive changes to the Pivot API. Even if this was possible, there
would undoubtedly be issues mapping Pivot's user input model to JavaFX's.

> In other words, it would probably be a very time-consuming (and likely futile) effort.
>

> On Feb 28, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> re: "Hosting Pivot within JavaFX or vice versa is likely to be difficult. "  - what
is the underlying reason for that?

since it is possible to embed both Pivot and JavaFX in a Swing app, maybe you could create
a thin Swing app to host both.

>>> Another option might be to host Pivot within an SWT app and use the SWT browser
widget for your web content. I don't believe it is possible to run Pivot within SWT at the
moment, but I believe that should be easier to do than combining Pivot with JavaFX.