pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: pivot + webkit?
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:32:09 GMT
The rendering models are completely different. Pivot uses immediate mode rendering (i.e. "paint"
calls) and JavaFX uses retained mode (the scene graph). Way down under the hood, JavaFX translates
the scene graph to immediate mode calls, but this is done using non-public APIs. Also, JavaFX
uses a multi-threaded rendering approach whereas all Pivot rendering happens on a single thread
(the EDT).

It may be possible to render Pivot using JavaFX's new Canvas support, but that would most
likely involve creating a graphics wrapper API that would either draw to Java2D or Canvas.
This would require some extensive changes to the Pivot API. Even if this was possible, there
would undoubtedly be issues mapping Pivot's user input model to JavaFX's.

In other words, it would probably be a very time-consuming (and likely futile) effort.

On Feb 28, 2013, at 9:23 AM, Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com> wrote:

> re: "Hosting Pivot within JavaFX or vice versa is likely to be difficult. "  - what is
the underlying reason for that?

it is possible to embed both Pivot and JavaFX in a Swing app, maybe you could create a thin
Swing app to host both.

>> Another option might be to host Pivot within an SWT app and use the SWT browser widget
for your web content. I don't believe it is possible to run Pivot within SWT at the moment,
but I believe that should be easier to do than combining Pivot with JavaFX.