pivot-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Boekhold <boekh...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using pivot *from* JVM-based scripting languages
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 09:24:10 GMT
Hi Sandro,

Thank you for the warm welcome to Pivot. I've ran through the examples
you mentioned, and have been able to create a Hello World example in
Groovy with Pivot. I am confused about some things however:

First, I don't like the fact that it seems to be necessary to write your
logic in a class that extends/implements Application. My programs are
more than just a GUI and using this kind of naming/method suggest that
everything is centered around the application. I suspect that this is
partly because you're trying to hide the logic of initializing the
graphics subsystem/awt as well as trying to hide the event loop. There's
other ways that that could be done however.

I'm also still confused about pivot Windows. These seem to be a strange
mix between a 'virtual desktop' and an actual window, eg if I extend a
Hello World example with "window.setPreferredSize(200,500)" I'm getting
strange results. The *window* isn't resized, but the way the Label is
displayed inside the window is affected by this. Manually resizing the
window by dragging the bottom right corner on the other hand seems to be
have just as you would expect.

Finally, and I don't know if this is a bug or not, but if I create 2
windows and call window.close() on one of them, pivot closes both
windows instead and my application exits.

Let me give you an example of what I'd ideally would expect from using a
windowing toolkit from Groovy. First of all, it wouldn't use XML to
define the GUI layout. I know that in the Java world such an approach
makes sense because Java code would get very verbose and it's not very
good in showing the hierarchical relationships of the various GUI
components. However in Groovy there's another way of addressing that,
and that's by creating a Domain Specific Language by writing a so-called
"Builder". Assuming we'd have a "PivotBuilder" in groovy, the equivalent
of
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/examples/src/org/apache/pivot/examples/scripting/

for the java_window.bxml/JavaWindow.java example could look like:

import groovy.pivot.PivotBuilder

def pivot = new PivotBuilder()

def prompt = pivot.prompt(text: 'Hello from Java')
def window = pivot.window(size: [200,500], maximized: true, title: 'Java
Window') {
     boxPane(orientation: 'vertical', styles: [horizontalAlignment:
'center', verticalAlignment: 'center']) {
         label(text: 'This is a Java Window')
         button(text: 'Say Hello') {
             buttonPressListener << { button ->
                 prompt.open(window)
                 // this is actually invalid code because 'window' is not
                 // defined here yet, (we're still working on it) but this
                 // is good enough to give an idea of how this would work
             }
         }
     }
}

window.open()/show()/whatever()

That's a first approximation of what a PivotBuilder in groovy could look
like, heavily inspired by how the exist SwingBuilder (and to a lesser
extend the SwtBuilder) work.

On the implementation side of such a PivotBuilder, I don't have any
specific ideas yet. I know I don't particularly like using
DesktopApplicationContext, it doesn't seem to fit the model very well to
me (but again I need to look deeper into this). So any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Just to let you know upfront as well, I'm interested in this (provided I
can get over the first technical hurdle of how to just simply open a
darn window), but I can't spend much time on this. Work doesn't allow
it, and at home I can probably only get a few hours per weekend on this,
maybe an hour here or there during the week.

Maarten