pivot-user mailing list archives

From Joseph Paterson <joseph.pater...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simple button in MenuBar
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 01:49:58 GMT
Thanks, I've raised PIVOT-881 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-881) to track the
issue.

issue for an improvement (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT).

> Thanks,
> ~Roger Whitcomb

little strange if you look closely, as it does look like it *should* have a menu beneath it
but doesn't. Not a deal breaker for what I'm doing though so I'm OK with it. Could be an improvement
for a future version!

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Joseph.
>
> On 21/11/2012, at 9:44 AM, "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com> wrote:
>

> Ah, I see what is happening.  In MenuBar.java at line 162 (inside “isEnabled) it is
checking for a null Menu item.  So, the MenuBar is definitely assuming that every MenuBar.Item
will itself contain a Menu.  I wonder what would happen if you were to define an empty Menu
(as in <Menu/>) underneath your MenuBar.Item …. Probably wouldn’t be very nice visually
….

> I’m not sure how to suggest working around this otherwise….
>
> ~Roger Whitcomb

menu. My menu bar has plenty of MenuBar.Item with menus within them which work fine, but what
I want is to have a button to access an action directly on the menu bar, not within a menu
on the menu bar (if that makes sense), a bit like a toolbar if you like.

> Cheers,
>
> Joseph.
>

> On 21/11/2012, at 4:48 AM, "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Joseph,
>    I’ve never seen this before, and our application has a lot of menu bar stuff.  Can
you do some debugging or some debug printouts to verify that the action has not been disabled
by some other means?  What happens if you change the action on this item to something else?

> ~Roger Whitcomb

give easy access to a particular action), and I'm not sure how to do this. I've got the following
code:

>     <MenuBar>
>             […]
>       <MenuBar.Item action="refresh">
>         <buttonData>
>           <content:MenuItemData text="Refresh" icon="/icon/refresh_16x16.png"/>
>         </buttonData>
>       </MenuBar.Item>
>     </MenuBar>
>
> With the code above I do get something appearing in the menu bar, but it is disabled
(the "refresh" action is enabled).