pivot-user mailing list archives

From Pavan Vadavalli <pavan.vadava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First impressions of a wannabe adopter
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:11:34 GMT
Hi Greg,
In your email,I can see some reflections of myself around an year back,
especially one of the things where you are blocked, to be able to playfully
move around bxml and java code and understand how this whole thing works

One approach that helped me a lot to move on and break open the chest of
puzzle was to debug the Pivot framework itself.

I wrote some simple Sysouts in the BXMLSerializer, to throw some light on
what it is doing , what properties its picking up , what setters its
invoking,while traversing the bxml and finally giving me the Object.

This helped me a lot to understand the intricacies without much needed
Pivot Documentation (btw, i believe code speaks more than Documentation,
just a personal belief)

Swing is ok, but your next steps towards java based GUI implementation Java
Fx also has the similar implementation of Bxml, (courtesy Greg Brown :))
and as time moves on...

Now my own project has around nice framework on the top of Pivot, has two
big implementations of this, has around 300+ BXML files + similar number of
code implementations, couple of Theme overrides.

I am currently prototyping a Caching Module to pool the GUI objects with
BXML as the Object Factory.

Well, i don't say it was easy but it was pretty worthwhile attempt i have
made to use the framework after around 3-4 months of looking around 5-6
options that provided Flexibility to create new or extending GUI
components, easier framework for Rich GUI applications deployable over
http, open source to name a few.

my sincere advice, just give it some more debugging to break it open and
you would suddenly realize, it becomes like a toy :)

I hope my experiences help ..
and Yes i do accept..Pivot has a long way to go..to make it more robust and
developer Friendly Framework..

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan

--