pivot-user mailing list archives

From Josh R <tripano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to block UI input to a disabled/busy TreeNode
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:09:57 GMT
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Roger L. Whitcomb
<Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com> wrote:
> Hmm, my feeling is that you're doing it the "right" way by checking the node state and
not displaying a context menu if the node is "disabled".  I don't think there is a "right"
answer as to whether UI input should be enabled/disabled for a specific node if it is in the
disabled state.  You might, for instance, have a different context menu depending on whether
a node is disabled (for example to enable it again in some cases) and so you would want the
UI input to get through.

Yes, totally agree. Depending on the node-state, the menu might even
be dynamic. But cases where the node needs to be completely disabled
it's just easier if the base library handled that. That way we can
also avoid replicating that code in every user's application.

If adding this functionality to the base class would be considered
code-bloat then it would be really great if pivot-developers could add
some extended classes to pivot-contrib. After spending almost a day on
creating modal pop-ups, I found a link to pivot-contrib and saw the
BlockingDialog class! So the contrib approach is nice too. That way
the base classes can stay lean.

IMHO, busy/active indicators and capability to enable/disable nodes
would be really nice to have.

> Of course, it might be possible to set a style on the tree as to whether or not disabled
nodes pass through their input, but my feeling is that this is better left up to the user
what to do..... My 2c...  You could file a JIRA issue about this and we could think about
it.  Or you could implement it yourself and suggest it as a patch ;)

Ok, I will file a JIRA issue.

> Again, thanks for using Pivot.
> ~Roger Whitcomb

Thanks for your time Roger. I like pivot's look and feel, layout etc.
I personally feel that the code samples/demos should have also had
parallel examples that don't use bxml at all. I am not an application
developer and so it took me a while to translate the bxml to a working
pivot code(100% java code). 100% pivot-code will also jump start
developers relatively quickly and might trigger adoption at a higher
rate.

thanks