pivot-user mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: How to block UI input to a disabled/busy TreeNode
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 20:48:20 GMT
Interesting.  Thanks for the explanation.  I'd actually never thought of / heard of that kind
of thing happening, but that's good to know.

~Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh R [mailto:tripanonyr@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:05 PM
To: user@pivot.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to block UI input to a disabled/busy TreeNode

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Roger L. Whitcomb <Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com> wrote:
>> The application that I'm targeting is similar to IPMI remote login but a more complex
version. Depending on the state of the host/hardware we might have to juggle different fields.
So it's best to handle that in code rather than writing several different bxmls.

> Okay, got it.  I can see how that would be hard to handle in bxml.
>
>> Also what if someone tampers the bxml?
>
> Interesting security question.... But, along that line, if someone is really interested
in hacking your application, what's to prevent them disassembling the byte code back into
Java source and changing it that way also?  My point being that if there is a significant
security risk if someone were to change the bxml (presumably they are in your packaged .jar
file, right?) then you probably need to implement some other checks somewhere so that the
application can (at least) detect if things have been tampered with since the .jar file was
built?

> ~Roger

Hopefully some code obfuscator will work. The goal is to deter casual mischievous snoopers.
I've seen a few cases where some folks at the customer site prefer vendor-A vs vendor-B and
then they sometimes play dirty tricks and file support issues just to make the software-offering
look bad.

The gui will talk to tightened *nix/BSD hosts which doesn't let users run privileged commands.

thanks