pivot-user mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@actian.com>
Subject RE: Action.getNamedActions() cannot be updated with an new action
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:22:25 GMT
What I did, which I think would solve your problem without changing
Pivot, is to use a subclass of Action that I can pass parameters to.
Then my subclass of Action object can be instantiated right away, but
actual working of the action gets the parameter from wherever the
context is stored and passes that at the time the action is invoked.

I'm not explaining it very well, but my feeling is that you shouldn't
really have to make a dummy action and then replace it later.  Just
instantiate the real action up front but have the "perform" method get
the context from somewhere so it can do the right thing depending on the
context (after your screen initialization is done).

In our application it is kind of complicated since our actions can be
invoked from several different places and the context has to be gotten
in various ways depending on how the action was invoked, but it is all
very doable without having to change the Action objects once they are
passed to the NamedActions dictionary.

HTH, but let us know if you still need help and I can try to explain
things better.  Or perhaps you could post a little more detail on what
you need to achieve.  Bottom line: I don't think you should have to
replace any Action objects to do what you need to do.

~Roger Whitcomb