pivot-user mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graph Visualization
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 09:42:59 GMT
Hi Ashish,

> The example you refer to provides charts but not graphs.
yes I know, but up to now we used only features available through
JFreeChart (using the Pivot-JFree Chart provider).

> Specifically I need a way to visualize graphs using vertices and edges.
I'm sorry but I don't think that JFreeChart has something like this
... so you should stay with your Graph library.
I can propose to you the following approach:
1 - (mandatory step): take the Pivot minimal Swing sample/demo, put
there your code to interact with Graphs, and loop until all works
good, or some problem occurs (and tell us in that case)
2 - in case there is general interests on this (and after a positive
vote from Pivot Developers), we could even think to add in core Pivot
a set of API for interaction with Graphs, and put the implementation
for a specific product in a secondary project in apache-extras.

Of course if you want to help us on this you are welcome ... as a
sample, take a look at Pivot Charts API.

As a quick-start for you, I could even open a pivot-jgraph subproject
in Apache-Extras and add you as a Committer so we can start to share
some code, and see later what to do. What do you think ?

Keep us updated.

Bye,
Sandro