pivot-user mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JavaScript port of Pivot
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 09:42:40 GMT
Hi Piotr,
this is an idea that during last year occurs sometimes (you can find
some discussion in our mailing lists) ...

In the current implementation of canvas there are some problems to
have a full implementation of Pivot on top of canvas because some
features are missing from it (if I remember well, font metrics,
accessibility, and probably others) ... but I agree that could be a
great experiment.
And to push it further I think that a 3D GUI with WebGL (backed by
Canvas) could be another great thing ... many JavaScript libraries
(like Processing.js, Three.js) already does this.

The only problem is that this would be a big task.
And before this we need to have a working abstraction for AWT
(scheduled for 2.1).
This is one of my reasons to fix asap many open issues for 2.0.x, and
switch on 2.1.x, because I haven't time to open/mantain a dedicated
branch, sorry.

I'm available to open a subproject on Apache-Extras for it (maybe with
GIT instead of the usual SVN, to simplify merge etc), but committers
are needed to do some stuff :-) ...

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Bye,
Sandro