pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Long-Term experiments for Pivot: WebGL
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:09:43 GMT
> a crazy idea come to my mind from what I start to read, it seems that
> WebGL will be more and more present in our future …

FYI - last I checked, Microsoft had not committed to this standard, though that may have changed.

> It's not clear to me if HTML5 Canvas should be enough

IMO, the biggest limitation with canvas is it's lack of font metric info. Otherwise, it's
pretty capable for 2D graphics.

Also, I believe that in IE, canvas support is implemented using Direct2D, which is a hardware-accelerated
2D drawing API. I think canvas drawing is also accelerated on the Mac, but I'm not 100% sure.