pivot-user mailing list archives

From Piotr Kołaczkowski <pkola...@gmail.com>
Subject Keyboard events ignored in Google Chrome / Firefox on Ubuntu Linux
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:50:35 GMT
Hi,

I encountered a strange bug.

1. When I run the applet in Firefox 9 in Windows, everything works fine.

2. When I run the exactly same applet in Firefox 9 installed in Ubuntu
11.10, it works fine until I click with the mouse somewhere outside of
the applet area, e.g. in the browser's address bar. Then the applet
loses focus and the applet stops receiving keyboard events. Pressing
tab once or twice, so that the applet gets focused again or clicking
on the applet, doesn't help. The keyboard events still go to
/dev/null, although mouse is fine :D. The only thing that works is
fully reloading the applet.

3. The same problem appears in the most recent Google Chrome.

At first I thought there is something wrong with my Java so I
reinstalled JDK. It didn't help. The problem exists either with Oracle
64 bit JDK 6 update 30 or 7 update 2.
I checked some other applets on the web, and... they work perfectly.
E.g. this one: http://www.brainjar.com/java/games/asteroids/. I can
click on the address bar, then click back on the applet, and voila, I
can still control the spaceship with the keyboard.

The I checked Pivot demos and *I am able* to reproduce the problem
with Pivot demos, e.g. the kitchen sink demo. So I came to the
conclusion there must be something in Pivot that makes the focus /
keyboard problem...
Do you have any ideas what could it be and where to look in the code
to debug it?

Best regards,
Piotr