pivot-user mailing list archives

From Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.1 release and threads
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:57:41 GMT
Roger:

yes, total agreement here :-)

the way I override is not to silence the problem,
but to permit few more legitimate threads
along with those already used by pivot;

Andrei

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: 2.0.1 release and threads
From: Roger L. Whitcomb <Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com>
To: Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com>
Cc: dev@pivot.apache.org
Date: Mon 16 Jan 2012 02:46:13 PM CST

> Hi Andrei,
>
>                 Yes, I remember the discussion about this earlier.
> There was a good reason for being able to override the default
> checker, as in your case running inside another container.  It’s just
> that overriding the checker, for instance, to just silence the
> assertion, is not a particularly good idea, except, perhaps, for the
> very narrow case where you have to get something working ASAP, and are
> now alerted to the fact that you will soon have to fix the background
> thread code, AND put back the assert once you’re done.

UI MUST happen in the Event Dispatch Thread (or 'EDT').  This is now enforced in 2.0.1 (as
you can see).  This is inherent, not only in Pivot, but all other GUI frameworks (that I know
of).  So, even though it "appeared" to work fine with 2.0, there are/were subtle problems
that you just didn't see yet.
>         What you need to do is use either a TaskAdapter class or call the ApplicationContext.queueCallback()
method to schedule your UI updates in the EDT, rather than doing them directly in the background
thread.  For an example you can look at the Tutorial here: http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/background-tasks.html.
 I can step you through your code in more detail if you need more help.  Our application also
has a number of places where we have needed to do this.
>         I'm going to transfer this to the User list since this is not a developer issue,
per se, since it is not a bug.  It is, however, something that has definitely changed (for
the better) in 2.0.1.