pivot-user mailing list archives

From Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.1 release and threads
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:40:32 GMT
Roger:

yes, good point;

and in my case I have legitimate scenario
when I have to provide alternative checker, since I am running inside
osgi launcher,
which is not covered by the default pivot checker implementation;

Andrei.

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: 2.0.1 release and threads
From: Roger L. Whitcomb <Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com>
To: Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com>, dev@pivot.apache.org
Cc: user@pivot.apache.org
Date: Mon 16 Jan 2012 02:34:03 PM CST

> But note that while this would eliminate the exception thrown by this
> “assert” it will not eliminate the subtle bugs that are really there
> because your UI updates are not being done in the event thread.  So,
> even though things appear to work, there really are problems that will
> end up biting you at some point.  That was the reason for putting in
> this assert, to alert you to the fact that there are really problems
> that you are not aware of.
>

> ~Roger

UI MUST happen in the Event Dispatch Thread (or 'EDT').  This is now enforced in 2.0.1 (as
you can see).  This is inherent, not only in Pivot, but all other GUI frameworks (that I know
of).  So, even though it "appeared" to work fine with 2.0, there are/were subtle problems
that you just didn't see yet.
>         What you need to do is use either a TaskAdapter class or call the ApplicationContext.queueCallback()
method to schedule your UI updates in the EDT, rather than doing them directly in the background
thread.  For an example you can look at the Tutorial here: http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/background-tasks.html.
 I can step you through your code in more detail if you need more help.  Our application also
has a number of places where we have needed to do this.
>         I'm going to transfer this to the User list since this is not a developer issue,
per se, since it is not a bug.  It is, however, something that has definitely changed (for
the better) in 2.0.1.