pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Question about "previewSheetClose"
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 21:02:55 GMT
I think the right thing to do is return DENY. If the sheet still rolls up in that case, it
is probably a bug in TerraSheetSkin.

On Dec 2, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Roger L. Whitcomb wrote:

> No, I was returning DEFER.  But, as I recall, even if I returned DENY the rollup still
happened.  So, TerraFileBrowserSheetSkin registers itself with a SheetStateListener, then
my use of this class also registers a SheetStateListener.  So, when “close” is called,
both listeners get called.  TerraFileBrowserSheetSkin gets called first, which calls TerraSheetSkin
via “super.previewSheetClose” (line 268), which will start the close transition and return
Vote.DEFER.  Then my listener gets called and will return DEFER (or DENY).  Once the votes
are tallied, the non-APPROVE final vote cancels the close transition (which has already started
running) and then brings up my prompt.

> Roger Whitcomb | Architect, Engineering | Roger.Whitcomb@actian.com| Actian Corp. | 500
Arguello Street | Suite 200 | Redwood City | CA | 94063 | USA  | +1 650-587-5596 | fax: +1
650-587-5550

an existing file.  So, I try to add a SheetStateListener and begin the prompt in there.  That
all works, except that the FileBrowserSheet “rolls up” and then rolls back down with the
prompt showing on top of it.  The reason it does that is that my listener is now third in
line.  First is the FileBrowserSheet listener which calls “super” (which is Sheet itself)
which starts the close transition and then it sets the selected file.  So, my listener actually
gets called twice:  once with the previous selected file (or null) set and once with the correct
file.

> So, there are two ugly things:
> 1) Visually it doesn’t look good to have the sheet go away and come back with the overwrite
prompt on it.
> 2) It is hard to code the logic in my listener to deal with being called twice.
>
> What I’m casting around for is a way to make my listener be the “first in line”
or have mine take precedence somehow without (necessarily) having a lot of knowledge of Pivot
internals since they may change over time.  I mean that I *could* remove any existing listeners
from the list and make mine the only one and have mine call the other ones if appropriate,
but that seems like a really bad practice, in general.  So, any thoughts as to what’s the
“right” way to handle this?  I think similar problems could potentially arise with other
close/state listeners as well, although the visual aspects are most clearly seen with Sheet
since it starts the rollaway transition in “previewSheetClose”.

> Or am I missing something fundamental here?  Thanks.
>

> Roger Whitcomb
> Architect, Engineering
> Actian Corporation
> roger.whitcomb@actian.com
>
> PHONE +1 650.587.5596
> FAX +1 650.587.5550
> www.actian.com
>
> <image001.jpg>
>
> This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient named
above. It may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original transmission and
all copies from your system.