pivot-user mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: applet shows gray window
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:53:33 GMT
Hi,
> yes, that works after sign my applet. but actually i want to open a server side file
under some special folder, now it reads files under client PC, which I'm not interested in.
> maybe i have to change from applet into jsp?
it depends on your requirements, if you really need something on the
client the I suggest to you an applet (or web start if it doesn't have
to interact with the containing page), and communicate with something
at server side to exchange data (could be a Servlet or anything other,
depending on the web framework you chose) ... and this is the RIA way
:-) ... otherwise you have the usual solution of all server side (and
maybe some Javascript inside a web page).

Note that Pivot has all classes to handle the communication with a
server side component, and has even a simple Servlet to use in some
cases.
To simplify things (if you are at prototype level) you could even try
to call a static json or xml resources on the server (or for example a
servlet that translates your server side data in json, and use Pivot
Serializers).

We haven't a Live Demo of this in the site (but one similar could be
for example the "iTunes Search" or the "Stock Tracker"). In sources
you can find some under the examples subproject, for example you can
see/download from here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/examples/
and from the binary distribution, the RESTDemoServlet (and related
classes, inside pivot-demos.war)

I hope to be clear, but tell me if you need other info.

Bye