pivot-user mailing list archives

From Bill van Melle <bill.van.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse plugin
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 06:45:34 GMT
I believe the main thing the plugin gives you (correct me if I'm
wrong, wizards) is the ability to run a bxml file standalone.  That
is, if you have a bxml file whose root element is Window (or a
subclass thereof), and doesn't depend on any java code (e.g., to
install and respond to event handlers), then you can right-click on
the bxml file in the project view and choose Run/Debug | As Pivot
Application.  I find this a useful lightweight way to debug various
bxml snippets in lieu of an actual visual designer, which Pivot sadly
does not have.  If you have a bxml component that isn''t rooted at
Window, you can make yourself a simple Window-based bxml file that
does a bxml:include of the other file in order to debug it.

You'll also want to associate BXML files with the Eclipse XML editor,
so that you can have an editor for BXML that's at least a little
better than a plain text editor.  Instructions are at
http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/Assign-wtkx-to-xml-editor-on-eclipse-tp916608p916648.html
(substitute "bxml" for "wtkx").  This was supposed to get into the
FAQ, but I don't see it there.