pivot-user mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@ingres.com>
Subject RE: Rough equivalent of Swing JOptionPane.showConfirmDialog
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:51:12 GMT
Sorry, my use of "blocking" was not intended to be technically accurate.
Of course, it has to keep pumping the event loop, which is what makes it
so tricky.  Actually, the tricky code seems to be in java.awt.Dialog
where the modal event loop lives.

Roger Whitcomb | Architect, Engineering | Roger.Whitcomb@ingres.com |
Ingres | 500 Arguello Street | Suite 200 | Redwood City | CA | 94063 |
USA  +1 650-587-5596 | fax: +1 650-587-5550

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Brown [mailto:gk_brown@verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:18 AM
To: user@pivot.apache.org
Subject: Re: Rough equivalent of Swing JOptionPane.showConfirmDialog

OptionPane isn't the problem - this has to do with how low-level
windowing toolkit events are processed. These calls don't actually
"block" - they keep running, but they transfer execution to another
event polling loop that is run by the dialog. Without a "pull" model
like SWT or direct access to the native OS event queue, you just can't
get this type of behavior.

On Aug 16, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Roger L. Whitcomb wrote:

> I would say a blocking version of Alert.alert or Prompt.prompt would
be
> perfect for what I need.  And looking through the source of
JOptionPane,