pivot-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bartlett <cbartlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hard to implement ScalePane
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2011 03:16:59 GMT
Bill,

I'd recommend first investigating which Components you are likely to
want to embed in a ScalePane and seeing if they fail in some way.  I
am pretty sure that there are ways to work around the tooltip
placement, but that won't count for much if the Components themselves
aren't useable, so I don't want to waste your time digging into an
example app from an old thread.

The idea I had (and which I have not yet had time to check out) would
take advantage of the fact that Pivot can scale entire Displays
independently without any mouse input issues.  (CTRL+SHIFT+PLUS/MINUS)
I was wondering if it would be possible to make the ScalePane a simple
placeholder which would reserve space within a Display, and then
overlay a scaled DisplayHost (an internal class of
ApplicationContext/DesktopApplicationContext) in the right place. (The
Pivot Components placed in the ScalePane would be painted to the
DisplayHost)

Alternatively it might be possible to somehow wrap the DisplayHost to
effectively turn it into a Pivot Component.  That might get messy
though, as it is an AWT component in reality (if I understand
correctly)

I'm not 100% sure that any of this would work even for a simple
scenario where the ScalePanes are not nested, and there would
certainly be some logistical issues if there was a need to support
nesting.  Is that a realistic requirement?

Chris