pivot-user mailing list archives

From Bill van Melle <bill.van.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Fonts don't scale well
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:36:17 GMT
One of the things I couldn't help noticing while working on ScalePane is
that text does not scale well.  The characters themselves are rendered
perfectly well at the new size, but the inter-character spacing is all
wonky.  It varies from font to font.  It's not terribly noticeable with
Pivot's default font (Verdana), and Lucida Sans is not bad.  But I can't use
either of those fonts, as they don't support all of Unicode (in particular,
Asian fonts).  So my app uses the Java generic SansSerif, and it's quite
noticeable there.

In contrast, as you can see from the ViewBox demo screencap I did the other
day, WPF has no problems scaling fonts gracefully.

So is there some bug in Pivot/Java's font rendering engine?