pivot-user mailing list archives

From Bill van Melle <bill.van.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hard to implement ScalePane
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 08:13:46 GMT
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Noel Grandin <noelgrandin@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure I really see the need for this feature, outside of gee-whiz
> demo videos.

I don't need it in its full generality, and I have no intention of putting
something with scrollbars into a ScalePane.  But an autoscaling component is
useful in an app where if the user reshapes the window to be bigger, you can
seamlessly make your components bigger to take advantage of the space.
 E.g., imagine a photo browser, where you put thumbnails in a GridPane, and
they get bigger when the user makes the window bigger.  Well, we can do that
already in Pivot, because ImageView scales automatically if you want it to.
 But suppose instead of just image thumbnails, you've got a more complicated
widget in there, and you would like its pieces to stay in the same
relationship to each other, because you designed an appealing layout for
them.

So I'm trying to see if I can do something nontrivial with this, but I
really don't need it to work in its full generality.  I'd like tooltips to
pop up in the right location.  I'd like it to be that if a component (say a
button or a hyperlink) responds to mouseover by changing color, that it
still works that way when scaled.  For my immediate application, I don't
need Expanders or Sliders to work, but I brought them up in my message to
give a sense of the wide range of things that you'd need to have work in a
"real" implementation of ScalePane.

For what it's worth, WPF has transforms built in at the component level, so
this kind of thing is much more doable, but I'm sure people here are sick of
my bringing up WPF.

> If you want a challenge, and you want to improve the Pivot state of the art
> in layout, Apple's new AutoLayout feature
> has some nice ideas:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/UserExperience/RNAutomaticLayout/_index.html

At first blush, it seems like much of what people would use their
complicated constraint language to do is already pretty easy (and more
understandable) in WPF and Pivot.  Maybe I'm missing something.