pivot-user mailing list archives

From Edgar Merino <donvo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Encodings and scripting languages
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:14:27 GMT
Ok I've been struggling with this for days and can't find a solution:
suppose I have a python script that uses a utf-8 string, like this:

myString = unicode("canción", "utf-8")

if I run the script in linux it'll work without a problem, but if I run
it under windows then "myString" will containt gargabe instead of "ó", I
have to manually open the script in windows and change it, this changes
encoding when saving the file to iso-8859-1.

I would like to stick with utf-8 for my scripts, but I don't know how to
handle this type of characters in windows. One solution I've found is to
use native2ascii in my scripts so my strings will be unicode.

I have also tried setting the encoding declaration in the script itself
but an exception is throws complaining that I cannot declare the
encoding when the script is being evaluated (the whole script is a
string). Is there a way to define an encoding for the script that'll be
included in a bxml file?

Any help is greatly appreaciated!
Edgar Merino