pivot-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bartlett <cbartlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Track dirty state of component hierarchy
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 04:58:28 GMT
Edvin,

I am not aware of anything within Pivot that covers this sort of thing, but
you might find some of the Component Explorer tutorial source code useful.
 Specifically the use of proxies for 'dynamic' notification & filtering of
events in the org.apache.pivot.tutorials.explorer.tools.EventLogger class.

http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/tutorials/src/org/apache/pivot/tutorials/explorer/tools/EventLogger.java

A similar approach might work for you depending on your definition of dirty.
You would need Pivot to provide events that cover every possible 'mutation'
of your data model (assuming that is what you mean by dirty).  If the events
do not exist, I think you would have to create your own event(s) for each
Component, although I suppose you could wrap the entire Component in a proxy
and use that to intercept the calls to its 'mutating' methods.

While an event/notification based solution is probably cleaner, you might
also consider polling the target Components' state and comparing to a known
'clean' state.  Something like this might be workable if the Components are
only every manually changed (and therefore made dirty) and you track and
monitor the focused Component for changes (and/or maybe track mouse position
/ mouseover)

http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/ComponentClassListener.html#focusedComponentChanged(org.apache.pivot.wtk.Component)
http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/Component.html#getComponentClassListeners()

Finally, BeanAdapter and BeanMonitor might also be useful at some point.
http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/beans/BeanAdapter.html
http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/beans/BeanMonitor.html

Chris