pivot-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bartlett <cbartlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Animated gifs in TreeView node icons
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:46:46 GMT
Yes, that is what I was thinking.

Get the Bounds of the TreeBranch node that is being opened,
Create an ActivityIndicator (sized to match the node's Bounds height)
Add a 'AnimatedTagDecorator' (custom subclass to manage the
animation/repaint callback) to the TreeView using the nodes Bounds (+/- any
indents) to align the Tag
Set the ActivityIndicator as the Tag
Remove the decorator when the data loading task has completed

To simplify for later use, much of the above could be encapsulated in a
'BusyNodeDecorator' whose constructor would just take a Sequence.Tree.Path
as an argument along with a repaint refresh duration..

Now that I have thought about it again, the ScrollPane should obviously
takes care of showing the correct region through its view port and the
TreeView should never need to know if it is wrapped in a ScrollPane or not.
 That means that it should be enough to just place the ActivityIndicator
over the TreeView in the correct location the first time.

But it gets complicated again when you consider that other TreeNodes might
be expanded, collapsed, added or removed while the ActivityIndicator is
showing, so the decorator would need to listen for those kind of events and
recalculate the bounds of the target node in order to keep the
ActivityIndicator aligned.

Perhaps this is all getting a bit too complicated?  But the power of a
decorator is that it can be applied to any Component, meaning it could be
used in other scenarios.  For instance it could be used to show an
ActivityIndicator at the end of a ListView while lazy loading more data
(triggered when the ScrollPane is scrolled to the bottom).

I might hack around with this idea later just to satisfy myself as to
whether if it would work.
It would be nice to be able to simply do something like
treeView.setNodeBusy(path, true)
and have the TreeView take care of everything discussed above.

Chris