pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Update TabData - supposed to call listeners manually?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:58:06 GMT
> The more I think about it, the more I believe that there shouldn't be any comparison and
that the caller should decide. If you call the method, you want a redraw, so any equals()
method would only add overhead, and possibly stop the update you explicitly called for.

I tend to agree. I also don't think that this change needs to be applied to *all* setters
- only setters that take a value without a specific type (i.e. Object) and fire change events.
Setters with a more specific type have knowledge about the implications of performing an equality
check and can decide whether it is appropriate or not. Untyped setters can't make such a determination
so should not attempt to perform the check. This is also consistent with the behavior of List#update().